Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Find: Recipe

Although I love to cook whenever I get the chance, there are times when I get a bit apprehensive about trying new things in the kitchen. I've been putting off this recipe for a long time, because I've either been too busy studying or cleaning my apartment non-stop (dogs shed). I had bought some leeks at the farmer's market a while back, but they just ended up sitting in the fridge and wilting. This time, I was not going to waste a perfectly good vegetable!





This Potato Leek Soup recipe from thekitchn.com is simple and delicious! And talk about healthy- it's basically potatoes, leeks and water. No joke. You only have to flavor it with salt and pepper afterwards (more salt than pepper). I cut the recipe in half, since I didn't have enough leeks to make the entire amount. However, I still ended up with enough soup to last us (2 people) a couple days. I'm usually not too hungry by dinner time when it's so hot outside- this is the perfect meal to sit down and slurp on those lazy days.

Enjoy! and Happy Friday :)


Potato Leek Soup
Peel and cube about three or four russet potatoes, enough for roughly 5 cups.
Leeks come in a variety of sizes, so slice enough to make a heaping 2 1/2 cups. I slice up the white parts and into the pale green as long as it stays crisp, stopping when I hit the darker green, fibrous part. Wash well in cold water and drain.
Enough water to cover.
Salt & Pepper.
Toss the potatoes and leeks in a soup pot with a pinch of salt. Add enough water to cover and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the potatoes can be pierced easily with a knife, about 30 minutes, With a hand blender, or very carefully in batches in a food processor, or even with a potato masher and your own brute strength, blend until the mixture reaches the consistency you prefer. I like mine just a little chunky. Taste for salt and pepper and add accordingly.


Variations:
Sauté the leeks first in a little olive oil or butter. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche.
Crisp three or four slices of bacon
in a soup pot. Remove and let drain on some paper. In the remaining fat, sauté the leeks until wilted, then add the potatoes and water and proceed as above. You may need less salt due to the bacon. Serve hot with the bacon and some fresh thyme crumpled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment